Using Survivor Gameplay to Thrive

Amy Wartham //

Outwit. Outplay. Outlast.

The tv show Survivor just launched its 46th season and I was poised to watch the show on my couch like have every year since 2000.

Survivor is a reality competition that throws 18 people together on a remote island, from all walks of life, and forces them to align and oppose, to connect and backstab, as they try to make it to the end by eliminating their competition. Of course, its tv and the show is completely edited, but it gives you an interesting look at human behavior.

The underpinning crux of the show is that the players have to trust each other by building a society, while completing challenges and each player brings different strengths and weaknesses to the game.

Here’s a few “Survivor” lessons that I would argue apply to our own work lives:

1. Build trust at every opportunity you can. The whole game of Survivor is built on deceit, but having allies is an important component of the game. Research shows that we spend about 90,000 hours at work over the course of our lifetime. That’s a lot of time spent with coworkers! We need our coworkers to be our allies and you can build that trust by being true to your word, communicating effectively and practicing thoughtful decision making.

2. Be authentically yourself. There’s only one you.  Brene Brown defines authenticity as “a collection of choices that we have to make every day. It’s about the choice to show up and be real. The choice to be honest. The choice, to let our true selves be seen.” Be vulnerable and let others see the real you. I think that’s one reason I’ve been so successful. I’m a bit of a goober and for some reason, people can connect with my gooberness.

3. Be adaptable. Survivor has a million twists and turns, so being flexible is the name of the game. Although we’re generally not trying to figure out how to get a 500-pound gecko over an eight-foot wall, we still face challenges that seem unsurmountable.  A lot of times, those challenges are outside our control, but what you can control is how you react to them. Becoming adaptable at work helps you respond to new situations, new roles, new projects, and new clients. As you develop this skill set, you’ll be able to face anything that comes your way.

4. Don’t give up. Find a way to succeed. My friend Mike Mooney signs off on his correspondence with Keep Digging and this is phrase you’ll hear host Survivor Jeff Probst say time and again. When I asked Mike about this phrasing, he attributed it to his long career in racing. When teams found themselves in the longest and hardest part of the race, you would hear the Crew Chief come over the radio and say keep digging. It’s all about keeping your head in the game and simply doing what needs to be done. You have to keep doing the work when it matters the most and every day dig a little more.

5. Take risks. Risk means taking a chance, trying something new, and possibly failing or succeeding, but we all experience risk in our lives. I have to admit… this is one I struggle with. I’m a fairly risk-averse person. I like to have a plan and then a Plan B. But to be successful on Survivor, the players have to pivot quickly and take risks. It may involve trusting someone that they have doubts about or telling a lie they don’t want to tell.

So far, I’ve only seen one episode for this season, but I’m pulling for Charlotte’s own Kenzie Petty. She’s got moxie and a vibe that gels well with the other players.

While the show is chock full of drama, the best part happens at the very end. The remaining members of the tribe gather together and make the slow walk to the Tribal Council meeting. The members spend time talking about what conspired since the last Tribal Council Meeting, while alliances are tested and ultimately votes are cast as to who gets to stay and who has to go.

At the end of the day, we can’t simply vote our coworkers out of our organization. Instead, we should focus on building strong relationships with one another and utilizing each other’s strengths so that everyone gets an opportunity to shine, inspire and influence.

If you’d like to discuss professional development training for your team, please email me at awartham@charlotte.edu or check out our Course Catalog for our list of program offerings.